Sunday, March 18, 2012

Shredded Carrot & Cashew Salad

Here's the third recipe we presented to our Indian Food cooking class. It's nice to have something crunchy to go with the other dishes. I got this recipe from a neighbor. She brought it to a block party and it was so different from anything I'd ever had and so good, I asked for the recipe. She, of course, said yes, but then I said I want the recipe now! Having just met her, I'm sure she thought I was crazy, but she raced home, printed out the recipe, and brought it to me. In exchange, she asked for my chocolate meringue cookie recipe, which I'll post to the blog soon. I think it was a great deal!

Shredded Carrot & Cashew Salad
 (serves 4; total cost is $1.30)

1½ Tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 cup carrots, finely shredded
⅓ cup cashew nuts, toasted
½ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons yogurt (optional)
⅓ cup red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded (optional)
1 Tablespoon cilantro, coarsely chopped (optional)

Combine the carrots, nuts, salt, yogurt, bell peppers in a mixing bowl. Heat the oil/ghee in a small saucepan over moderate heat until it is hot, but not smoking. Add the mustard seeds and fry until they sputter, pop, and turn gray (partially cover the pan, as needed). Pour the oil mixture onto the salad, add the cilantro, and toss to mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment